Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 03:05:38 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xditview

Hi, Reference:
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> Subject: Re: xditview
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 02:10:34 -0700
>
> > Shudder ... `unbundling' Eh ?
> No, rebundling.
>
> > Stripped down op. systems with optional C compiler & text processing system
- s
> ?
>
> No.  Everything which is there will remain, just differently encapsulated.
>
> > however, there might be a benefit to not having to BSD-make convert
> > the mega FSF distribs such as gcc & groff etc, each time they upgrade.
>
> Yes!
>
> 					Jordan

Thanks for answering the side issues,
now please don't over look the main issue ;-)

> To: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> Cc: current@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: xditview
> From: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 01:59:45 +0200
>
> Hi, Reference:
> > From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> >
> > Well, if ones source tree were 99% X source code free, wouldn't you be
> > tempted to go for that final 1%? :-)
>
> Yes, If it had never gone in it would have been fine,
> or if it had been in only a short while,
> but it seems dubious from a quality control viewpoint, to now remove
> a facility CD users have had at least 2 releases to get used to having
> available (2.0.5 & 2.1).
>
> A simple .if exist .... SUBDIR +=	would suffice, wouldn't it ?.

Accepting Mike's subsequent comment:

> From: Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
> Subject: Re: xditview
> To: jhs@freebsd.org
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 09:32:38 +0930 (CST)
> Cc: current@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
>
> Actually, it would cause 'make world' to fail if /usr/X11R6 were present
> but not complete (eg. only libraries were present, say for running emacs),
> or not writable (eg. mounted readonly via NFS), or if you built on a
> machine with no X and then tried 'make reinstall' onto one that had
> X, the 'reinstall' would fail.
>
> > A better solution may be something like:
> > src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/Makefile:
> > 	.if exists(${X11BASE}/include)
> > 	.if exists(${X11BASE}/lib)
> > 	SUBDIR +=xditview
>
> You would need to add a writability test too.  I would have been happy
> with the build or install failing and being ignored, but I couldn't
> come up with a way for it to be done tidily.

As you (I believe) too crudely nuked the tree, IMO it's your responsibility
to repair the damage your butchery has inflicted, & find some better
solution, even if no better than a crude:  src back out of Attic, &
	.if defined(XDITVIEW)
	SUBDIR +=xditview.

I can't believe you would want to forget the issue, and just leave the
butchery unfixed.
It's unprofessional to toss out functionality, without careful
consideration & list discussion, now we realise that at least 2 previous
public releases of our FreeBSD product has offered xditview facility
to users.

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/