Date:      Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:38:34 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Mildly OT] Userland Control Of getbostbyname()

--BpuR2CbcLDKrDmins2scXDBwkaT7FNHGu
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--S5Tv0TacGRk5EmE9MhjmMoFN6TCe3WEGR

On 2016/09/30 15:20, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> Thanks Matthew, that's kind of what I figured.  The fundamental require=
ment
> for my use case is that all the config changes be do-able without root
> or sudo access.  It's sounds like this is not possible short of - as yo=
> point out - writing custom query code.  This breaks the other half of
> my use case - existing code should just run and use the newly selected
> resolver.  Sigh ...

You generally can't change the configuration of a server at this level
without root level access.   Even if you had write access to
/var/unbound/forward.conf, you'ld need also need root level access in
order to signal the unbound process to re-read its config.

This is a job for sudo(8) -- if not, then you're going to have to
explain to your management that whatever they want investigated will
take very much longer than it needs to, since you'll be spending a large
amount of time waiting for some sysadmin to make these changes on your
behalf.

	Cheers,

	Matthew