Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:16:02 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
Cc:        Tore Lund <tl32@next.online.no>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Monitoring CPU temperature: mbmon shows 201 degrees C

Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> Στις Tuesday 22 July 2008 00:25:46 ο/η Tore Lund έγραψε:
>
>> Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

>>> Having said that, the issue with the temperature must not be my thing :(
>>> after kldload coretemp, i get
>>> [achix@panix ~]% sysctl -a | grep tempera
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 40,0C
>>> dev.cpu.0.temperature: -1
>>> [achix@panix ~]%
>>> The first always is stuck to 40 and dev.cpu.0.temperature to -1.
>>>
>> Achillea, have you told us what CPU you have?  Manolis presumes you have
>> an Intel, but I do not see this information anywhere in your posts.  If
>> you have a recent AMD, try the port k8temp.
>>

> Sorry, i have a
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz (2672.74-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9
>   Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>   Features2=0x4400<CNXT-ID,xTPR>
> So coretemp is not for me.

Definitely.

> While experimenting, i noticed the 1st and 3rd temperatures from mbmon to be updated in a fashion that seems
> natural.
> [achix@panix ~]% mbmon
> Temp.= 41.0, 201.0, 42.0; Rot.= 3443,    0,    0
> Vcore = 1.50, 1.81; Volt. = 3.30, 5.08, 11.43, -11.74, -1.69

What chipset is the mobo based on? mbmon runs fine on my 865G and a 3Ghz
P4 CPU. You are probably correct, the middle temp may represent a sensor
that is not recognized, but the other readings seem normal.

> I started to trust mbmon, and i think the 1st temp must be motherboard, while the 3rd CPU,
> and indeed the first value varies betaeen 41-42 degrees, and the third value from 39, (~ 100% idle)
> to 45 (0% idle). So i assume the above must be right.
> Yesterday i had mbmon -t > mbmon.out running all night and the highest CPU temp was at 46 deg C,
> while highest MB temp was at 43 deg Celsius (if the previous assumptions about the interpretation of the
> output of mbmon are correct).
> Both high temps happened while running periodic daily at 03:00 (which increased my trust in those).
> All that, was after i blew the box/case inside and closed the case.
> If i trust those numbers and their interpretation then i must not have a temperature problem (anymore).
> Lets see how the machine behaves.
> There is always the other usual suspect from the memory department :)

For memory, I would suggest memtest86. For stressing the machine, try
math/mprime in torture mode. Watch the temperatures and make sure you
leave it running for a couple of hours and you don't get any errors.
Usually, if you have a termperature problem it will bail out in half an
hour or less.