Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:51:39 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU/FreeBSD? Not by that name

At 10:39 AM 2/26/99 -0500, Christopher Masto wrote:

>Brett, we understand that you feel hurt by the FSF and hurting them
>back is the only way you can currently deal with your anger,

Bullshit.

>but
>please don't make such blatant lies.  To quote a page from fsf.org:
>
>  "There are many different non-copyleft free software licenses,
>   including the X10 license, the XFree86 license, and the FreeBSD
>   license, and the BSD (Berkeley System Distribution) license."

They then go on to trash the Berkeley licenses, on their Web pages
and even more so at public appearances and in e-mail.

>After you get some therapy, you may want to read
>http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/categories.html where you can find that
>even the evil mind-control organization known to you as GNU doesn't
>mind non-GPLed software.

After you get through with their propaganda, you may want to digest
the following recent quote from RMS:

>> In the GNU Project, discrimination against proprietary software is not
>> just a policy--it's the principle and the purpose.  Proprietary
>> software is fundamentally unjust and wrong, so when we have the
>> opportunity to place it at a disadvantage, that is a good thing.

Stallman and Perens both brand the BSDs as "evil" because they
provide help to "the enemy": commercial software.

>Unfortunately, the
>merest suggestion that Linux, GNU, and Richard Stallman are not our
>most mortal enemies results in gibbering flames from the like of Brett
>Glass.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's YOUR "gibbering flames" that are
out of line. I'm merely pointing out the obvious.

>If we can't all get along, can't we all at least just calm down?

Again, you seem to be the one who's agitated when anyone dares
to criticize the GPL zealots. I'm simply restating what they themselves
have said.

>Linux got some media attention recently, much of which was in the form
>of pictures of people carrying banners and picket signs and storming
>Microsoft headquarters.  In contrast to that, if FreeBSD presents
>itself as a community more concerned about functionality and code
>correctness than in making public fools of ourselves, we can expect a
>positive response from many corporate sectors.

Perhaps you'd better stick to programming; you clearly don't know
much about PR.

--Brett Glass