Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:57:18 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft performance (was: ...)

On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 11:14:24AM -0700, Doug wrote:

> > That's the world I lived in (except that I used FreeBSD for the NFS
> > servers as well!) and done properly it works EXTREMELY well.
>
> 	I'm not going to have that luxury, and I really believe that
> NetApp and it's cousings are going to be THE point of access in the next
> year or so. They work too well to pass up, and now that they are OEM'ing
> the disk shelves they will be too cheap to justify rolling your own for
> all but the most diehard platform advocates.

The point I was making, Doug, is that FreeBSD as an NFS client works quite
well in my experience, PROVIDED that you are (1) running a "good" code
base, and (2) have things set up correctly.

I don't argue with the Netapp people; they have a good product that does a
good job.  The major problme has been the disk cost for a long time; if
they're fixing that, then the overall picture will change dramatically and
in their favor, which is a good thing.

However, that doesn't change the fact that FreeBSD makes quite a good NFS
client IF you do things "right".  Yes, there are issues.  No, they're not
impossible to solve.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: fathers.denninger.net
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.