Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:25:25 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nonsense discussion: dreaming up new technology

> Umm ... is there a reason for keeping a log book beyond being able
> to brag that "I thought of this 5 years before anyone else" and having
> proof?

You need the log book to *protect* your new idea.  When most
of the ingredients of an invention (mainly, most of the
underlying technologies) are in place, it is not uncommon for
a number of people to simulteneously get the same idea and
then race to realizing it.  In such a case if a patent
dispute arises, a detailed log book with dates showing when
you first thought of an idea and how you implemented it can
help in determining who "got there first".  Witnessing or
notarizing your entry is to help keep you honest.  At least,
that is how the system is supposed to work!

But if you don't care to turn your ideas into reality you
don't have to bother!