Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:14:19 -0800
From:      "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.org" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: time_t definition

On 01/16/13 03:00, Patrick Lamaiziere wrote:

> Looks like gcc47 checks the printf format string (-Wformat)
> Disable this check or convert your time_t.

Yes, I know gcc47 checks the format string.

But, time_t is of type int32, from a typedef statement.

#include <stdio.h>
typedef int zzz;
typedef zzz yyy;
typedef yyy xxx;
int main() {
   xxx idx;
   for (idx=0; idx<10; idx++) printf("%d\n",idx);
   return 0;
}

does not produce the error (I did this on the 'other' system)
 > gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3

 > gcc -O2 -pipe  -I../../include -std=gnu99 -fstack-protector
-Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -Wno-uninitialized
-Wno-pointer-sign xxx.c -o xxx

I did not think to do this on the FreeBSD system I was using yesterday.

What I don't understand is where gcc is losing track of this definition.

In 9.0, or maybe earlier, the definition of time_t was changed with a
view toward 64-bit systems.  I remember a statement to the effect of "in
2038, 32-bit time will overflow.  It is unlikely that many 32-biot
systems will be around then.  So, making the change to 64-bit now will
prevent having to do it in the future".

So, now, it seems that any calculation involving time_t requires a cast????

Tom Dean