Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:42:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Nils Holland wrote:

> > For more information on the motivations behind the GPL, read "The GNU
> > Manifesto" (the earlier versions, not the "sanitized" one which is

> A good idea indeed! Do you have an idea where I can find the "earlier"
> version of the GNU Manifesto? I would really like to have a look at it so
> that I can better understand what you are pointing out and make up my own
> mind about it.

My printed copy of the GNU Manifesto is in the comb-binded book "GNU Emacs
Manual" from March 1987 (pages 239 - 249). It is yellow, 7.5" x 10" with a
drawing of bearded man in a metal armor riding a gnu. The back cover has a
strange picture of a nervous, angry man in a suit running with a "license
agreement" in his hand and dollar bills and floppy disks falling from his
other hand. (I can't read the artist's signature; it is dated 1986.)

On page 244, the GNU Manifesto says:

 "Don't programmers deserve a reward for their creativity?"

 If anything deserves a reward, it is social contribution. Creativity can
 be a social contribution, but only in so far as society is free to use
 the results. If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
 programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they restrict
 the use of these programs.

punished ...

The whole Manifesto is amazing.

   Jeremy C. Reed