Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 18:33:50 -0600
From:      jeremy-novak <pr0cy0n@home.com>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome vs. KDE

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 11:39:55AM -0700, Linh Pham wrote:
> On 2001-06-04, Tim Erlin scribbled:
>
> # Which is better, KDE or Gnome? Why do you think so? Is
> # the answer 'neither?'
>
> This question has sparked off several flame-fests and the answer, for me
> the answer is KDE... but for others... it's GNOME. It depends on the
> point of view (ie: true 'openness' and 'freeness' in the sense of the
> GPL, etc., ease of use, intuitiveness, stability, etc.)
>
> Why is KDE better in my point of view? I just like it's relative
> simplicity, usage of a toolkit (I like QT better than GTK in some
> cases), and it's looks/layout. It's closer to Windows/Mac and KDE 2.1.x
> is very stable and nimble on my machines (one is a P2-350 with 64MB of
> RAM, one is an IBM Thinkpad with a P3-800 with 384MB, one used to be a
> P-200 with 48MB).
>
> --
> Linh Pham
> [lplist@closedsrc.org]

Hi Tim

 I would like to take a small crack at that question and response. Linh is absolutely correct. I agree with most of what he says and as he pointed out the arguement is evenly divided. I happen to prefer GNOME because I find it fairly intuitive and very customizeable, some people do not. If it helps you any or at least makes you feel less indecisive, it took me several months to figure out which
environment I like the best. And in my 3 years of freedom I have learned that
for me the same desktop/window manager is not necessarily the one I want on eachsystem. Example: I have two older Micron Notebooks that I have chosen to use
BlackBox because of it's simplicity (read low resource usage) they are elderly
old genteleman with Pentium 133 MHz and 200 MHz & 16 and 32 Mb ram respectively.On a more agrresive system at home with a dual processor board and 512 MB ram I use Enlightenment because it looks extremely cool and you can do anything you can imagine to it. (These system requirements are not necessary to make it work though, I was just on a power trip.) And sometimes I just feel all gooey and don'twant to see any GUI applications for a few days (was terrified of the dreaded
'console' at first) so I run my 4.2 honey's in console/terminal mode for a
 while.

 Ok, so the point of all this is be glad you have choices (the unenlightened
 have no such freedom), and take your time figuring it out because they can all  do the same things, they just look and behave differently.