Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 05:24:29 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Feeling old

David Greenman wrote:

> >For as long as I've been involved with computers, I've been told (in
> >essence) that only the young folks fresh out of college are capable of
> >writing great software.  As if technological senility sets in by the
> >time you're 25.  Then I see pictures of the core team and other well-
> >known members of the FreeBSD community and get confused.  Then I see
> >all the young faces of the various groups in my area and begin to feel
> >old and even more confused.  Does anyone really know the average age
> >of the core team and said peripheral contributors?  I know the age
> >thing has been hashed endlessly, but each time the question has never
> >really been answered IMO.
>
>    I'm 31. Jordan is a few years older. About 90% of the core team is in the
> 30-45 range. I think John Polstra is the oldest, but I don't know his exact
> age (somewhere in the mid 40s). I'd guess the average age of contributors is
> around 25-30 due to a large number of college aged people skewing the average
> downward a bit.
>    I don't recall ever feeling technologically senile. :-)

Oh good, I don't feel so old anymore.  I do have one more question,
though:  Is there some rule stating that one must sport face-fur?  I
don't think I've ever seen such a concentration of human whiskers in
my life.  :-)

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world