Date:      Sun, 07 Sep 2003 21:49:09 -0700
From:      underway@comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Old Way Was Better

"Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net> writes:

> Rather than releasing development code and making big warnings, just
> _recruit_ more testers.  That is what was needed in accordance with the
> early adopter's guide.  This is the most direct path to the desired
> outcome.

You'll recruit more testers by making releases and you'll recruit even
more by naming the releases well.  What "well" is is the problem,
because name choices have other effects too.

> Those who are inclined to test will test.  Those who are not inclined to
> test (me, until I got the OpenAFS bug) will not.

That's just not true, at least if normal users who report bugs are
counted as testers, as they should be.

BTW, please tell me a little about OpenAFS.  Didn't CMU abandon its
copyrights on AFS so it's in the public domain?  If so, OpenAFS is a
funny name.  Under what license is the new work being done?  Is the
project working on the GUI libraries?  Are they usable for normal
applications?

> The old way was better.

The only thing I know about the old way is what I read at

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/5-roadmap/index.html

and were the old way sounds worse.  Unless there's a REAL old way
where beta releases carry beta-type names.  As I indicated above, it's
necessary to make a few beta releases and the only question is what
they should have been named.

They probably should have been named "NickName #" or "5.pre0.#" or (in
keeping with my last message) with a "4.*-beta" name, but "5.#" wasn't
much worse as long as they were described as well as they were.  The
names that were used surely got the code tested better than other
names would have, and that might be worth the (minor?) harm it's doing
to FreeBSD's reputation.  There would also have been some harm caused
by delaying 5.0 a second year.  And delaying 5.0 another year would
have caused some morale problems with the developers too.  As it is,
as this thread shows, there are many people quite happy using 5.x in
non-test situations.  While 5.0 (I should say X11 on 5.0) kept hanging
up on my system, 5.1 has been working fine as my sole desktop OS.  (I
do still have 4.8 around, but it looks like I won't need it.)