Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:01:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kevin McKinnon <kevinmck@dowco.com>
To:        John Brown <jbrown@vafibre.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Reverse Lookup

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, John Brown wrote:

> When My users attempt to download anything that requires reverse DNS
> authentication (Like the 128 bit encryption stuff) they are being denied
> because the ip cannot be associated with a name.
>
> Any Ideas on how I make this work, or a place that will has DNS related
> examples.

Hi John,

You might check with your backbone provider to see if they've delgated
reverse lookups for your IP block to your nameserver.  It's possible that
MCI still shows that *they* are doing the reverse lookups for your
addresses.  (This happened to me with SprintLink last year, same symptoms
that you describe.)

If they are still set to provide reverse lookups, you need to get *them*
to delegate it to you... you can't have it changed yourself.

Hope this helps... Best regards,
Kev

Kevin McKinnon, Network Engineer                              kev@dowco.com
Dowco Computer Systems (dowco.com)                     http://www.dowco.com

Member CLCU - The Committee for the Licensing of Computer Users