Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:22:24 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 01:42:16PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed stood up and spoke:

>  If anything deserves a reward, it is social contribution. Creativity can
>  be a social contribution, but only in so far as society is free to use
>  the results. If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
>  programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they restrict
>  the use of these programs.
>
> punished ...
>
> The whole Manifesto is amazing.

The word "punished" in the manifesto is indeed amazing. I guess I'll do
some online research and see if I can get a hold of the complete, original
version somewhere. This has little to do with the basic issue that started
this thread, but as I have only read the GPL as far as the FSF documents
are concerned, I'm now indeed motivated to find out what else they have to
say, because that will probably help me understand some of the views
expressed here. As said before, I by far prefer the BSDL over the GPL, but
I'm still motivated now to get myself a little more information about the
people and aims that stand behind the GPL...

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany