Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2011 20:04:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   8.1-p2 uart appears hopelessly broken

Through the years I have become accustomed to having to have a hardware
modem.  7.2 sio correctly identifies my modem as a 3-COM PCI FAX/MODEM
and correct identifies the chip as 16550A.

In 8.1 uart calls the same device an unstandard ns8250 uart.  Nonetheless,
tun0 can fireup at boot.  But it is never possible to bring it back up on
demand after it times out.  This is pretty much my definition of hopelessly
broken behavior and I cannot find a word of warning in the documentation.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html