Date:      Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:12:21 -0800
From:      underway@comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Restructure of the front page

Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> o Removing the 'News' section.  Most of the information there is
>   repeated on the right bar.

Good move, but what's to happen to the /news/ pages?

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html  has a link to
http://www.freebsd.org/news/newsflash.html

Maybe replace news/*.html with "no longer in use" pages, to cut down
on bug reports, etc.

> o Adding a supported platforms section (replaces the above).  This
>   will help users locate information on arch support without going
>   through a maze of links.

The center section already mentions supported platforms.  The stuff
proposed for addition seems mostly for developers and belongs in the
development section or one of its linked pages.  If someone wants to
add platform-related user stuff outside the handbook, it could be
linked to off the "release info" page, or from the web page navigation
"Software" section.

> Under Development, remove the Release Engineering link (we have
> a section on it already).

The front page should be moving to a layout that segregates stuff for
developers out of the way of other users.  The "Software" section
should be for non-developers but should have an RE intro (preferably
just a link to a handbook section) and most or all of the RE
scheduling info.  The "Development" section deserves its own RE link
for things like developer-only RE docs and RE team member lists, etc.

For the same reason, the "Doc. Project" link should be moved to the
"Development" section; it's of no interest to typical users.

Along the same lines, "Release Information" is rather esoteric and
could be confused for a verb phrase.  How about "Version information"
or "FreeBSD versions"?

The "Release Information" link should be above the "Getting FreeBSD"
link, because one should learn about the releases before getting one.

The link "Ported Applications" is more esoteric than it needs to be;
the first word is not helpful and only makes newbies scratch their
heads.  The linked page is about ports for now, but someone could
later replace it with a more generic page about applications, with a
section on ports.