Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 23:23:49 +0100
From:      jmdupx@yahoo.com
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Microsoft bashers

I dont often post here, but I think a broader issue has been
overlooked in this thread, the fact that computer innovation (at least
all of the developments that have been raised in this thread, i.e. the
first GUI, the first mouse, the Internet and so on) has been virtually
exclusively carried forward by corporate businesses or private
individuals who have turned their ideas into corporations as soon as
they have proved popular enough, so ultimately this driving force
has always been bound up with commercial interest at one level or
another

Leaving aside the specific crimes Microsoft may or may not have
been guilty of, or the contribution it may or may not have made to
computing i think the whole question is a great reminder that the
free-market economic model can have its flip-side too

It may have a lot of advantages over other tried and failed systems,
but i think we would be fools to forget that it can leave open the
possibility for a corporation to achieve or attempt an abusive
manipulation of its section of a market -  this could be Microsoft or
any other corporation, but the point is still the same - the more
dependent a society becomes on a single corporation's product or
products, the easier or more likely it is the corporation would try to
unfairly influence or dominate a market