Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:29:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Doherty <doherty@ans.net>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: differences between SCSI and EIDE [was: wanna buy an EIDE harddisk ... 5400 or 7200 for home use (noise)]

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> On the other hand, the newer bigger drives are getting able to basically
> consume most available bus bandwidth. If the numbers I've seen recently
> for drives being able to do ~24MB/s off the platter are indicative of

There is a big difference between raw bandwidth and actual usage
patterns.   Accessing a lot of small files drives a lot of overhead
and you are lucky to drive more than a couple hundred KB.  I once
copied a large news spool off of a 9 gig drive and had the copy
operation take over 8 hours on an AIX system.  By unmounting the
filesystem and performing a copy of the logical volume it took
under an hour.  The filesystem overhead in opening/closing/seeking
files has a big impact on being able to drive i/o.  For everything
but writing/reading very large files the SCSI bus is not going to be
the limit.  My guess is that the overhead in the standard i/o
libraries might even be able to get in the way, but I have not
measured it.

Jim Doherty