Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:19:34 -0500
From:      Jay Hall <JHALL@SOCKET.NET>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rsync include and exclude

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am using rsync to backup some information and I am having some
problem with including and excluding directories.

I want to include everything in the user's mail directory and
everything in the user's documents directory.  Everything else should
be excluded.  And, it is possible to have multiple users on a single
computer.

Following is what I am using for my include/exclude patterns.

+ /Users/*/Library/Mail/
+ /Users/*/Documents/
- /Users/*/Documents/*
- /Users/*/Library/*

This gives me close to the desired result.  However, there are some
extra files included which I do not need to backup which are stored
in /Users/username directory.

If I add -/Users/*, no files are backed up.

After reading the man pages and several examples, I thought I had a
handle on this.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay