Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:20:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>, dyson@iquest.net, wes@softweyr.com, toasty@home.dragondata.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High Load cron patches - comments?

    Since I'm using sendmail a little too much as an example, I'll use BEST's
    web server as another example.

    The web server hard limits the number of simultanious connections.  On
    a relatively loaded machine, say shell5.ba.best.com, the peak utilization
    is fairly consistent.  The monday-noon peak runs at 35 hits/sec and
    500 simultanious established connections.

    We set the hard limit to around 800 simultanious established connections.

    In this case, the hard limit is mainly designed to handle occassional
    bursts of CGIs that eat into the number of connections and to give
    the server enough room to handle one or two users being listed as
    'best site of the day' on Yahoo or something like that, something that
    might happen once a month.  The hard limit is also designed to handle
    runaway CGIs.  It is set high enough that it never gets hit under normal
    operating conditions, but low enough that the server doesn't fall on its
    face if someone CGI-fork-bombs the server.

    The sysop can usually get in and fix the problem without having to
    even restart the web server, which is a big plus.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>