Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:49:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU/FreeBSD? Not by that name

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Christopher Masto wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 05:53:08PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> > Unlike the FSF, the Debian group DOES consider the BSD licenses to fall
> > within its definition of "free software"
>
> Brett, we understand that you feel hurt by the FSF and hurting them
> back is the only way you can currently deal with your anger, but
> please don't make such blatant lies.  To quote a page from fsf.org:

	And, although I wasn;t going to say anything, hasn;t it occured to
Brett that very few people agree with him here?

>   "There are many different non-copyleft free software licenses,
>    including the X10 license, the XFree86 license, and the FreeBSD
>    license, and the BSD (Berkeley System Distribution) license."
>
> After you get some therapy, you may want to read
> http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/categories.html where you can find that
> even the evil mind-control organization known to you as GNU doesn't
> mind non-GPLed software.
>
> I thought perhaps the FreeBSD community could display a more sensible,
> level-headed, moderate image compared to the ranting and raving of the
> Linux Fandom.  This alone would help our PR.  Unfortunately, the
> merest suggestion that Linux, GNU, and Richard Stallman are not our
> most mortal enemies results in gibbering flames from the like of Brett
> Glass.  If we can't all get along, can't we all at least just calm down?

	Seems to me its only Brett thats got his panties in a bunch over
FSF, personally, I'm not a fan of Stallman, or the GPL, but I think it
fairly lame that Grett feels he has to lead some kind of one man campaign
against them. I mean, don;t you have better things to do with your time
Brett?

> Linux got some media attention recently, much of which was in the form
> of pictures of people carrying banners and picket signs and storming
> Microsoft headquarters.  In contrast to that, if FreeBSD presents
> itself as a community more concerned about functionality and code
> correctness than in making public fools of ourselves, we can expect a
> positive response from many corporate sectors.
> --

which is one of the reasons people like us use it.

looking forward to meeting with you to discuss this tonight =)

-Pat