Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 16:58:41 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian>
To:        hackers
Subject:   [DEVFS] thanks for the thoughts

terry was correct in most of his comments though as usual there was the
obligatory 20% that I couldn't make heads nor tails of..

It looks as though the majority feeling is:

/devs/disks/sd0
/devs/disks/rsd0
.... using bruce's naming scheme

/devs/tapes/rst0
/devs/tapes/nrst0

/devs/ttys/00

/devs/ptys/00

/devs/misc/mem
/devs/misc/mem

/dev/null ->/devs/null
etc.

As poul said..
There is a hidden agenda to do away with major/minor numbers
all together, but that will be a long way down the track
and the present system keeps them.
The present /dev entries won't be going away quite yet....

As he also said.. this is extremely experimental,
and so everyone will have the oportunity to comment on
the 'look and feel' of it. and anyone who feels like coding up
a routine to impliment their own favourite way is
welcome to do so.. :)

On the question of assigning  non-standard ownerships..
I envision a small program that the administrator runs,
to register  the ownership or permission change of a device,
and the same program when run in the rc scripts, automatically
adjusting the ownerships of any such devices found.
Maybe this might be an addition to chmod/chown/chgrp?

(of course that doesn't count for devices that are added after boot,
but maybe the utilities that load teh devices and start them up can call
the utility as well.)

julian