Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:26:37 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Divx , avifile, mpeg4ip - all a pitfall somehow

I received an AVI file with a Jazz recording and thought, to not
boot my notebook into Windows ME or 2k this time but fire up
one of the FreeBSD video tools .

Had I only booted into Windows, I would not be sitting here
and write these lines :-)

The odyssey started:

locate divx (the file was using the divx codec)
aha, /usr/ports/multimedia.

compiled divex
ah, it's only a library.

Hmm, what player ? googled a bit.

Time passes ..

lets compile mpeg4ip

Phew, look ma, SDL, gnome, gtk,  yay.

what's the binary, what's the binary, hell?

ah, gmp4player

fire up, open file.

allright.avi

Open error: /home/kuku/allright cannot be opened.

Hmm. not saying why but probably doesn't like divx format.

Lets try avifile. Port fails to build.
fetch: avifile-0.7.18-20021107.tgz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
>> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/avifile.

Maybe my fault because ports my tree might be newer than FreeBSD
version - didn't have time to sync that.

sigh.

I tried to cvs checkout avfile from sourcefourge, autogen, configure,
cpu_flush.TPlo  -fPIC -DPIC -o cpu_flush.lo
In file included from cpu_flush.c:7:
libdha.h:19: stdint.h: No such file or directory
In file included from cpu_flush.c:8:
kernelhelper/dhahelper.h:11: linux/ioctl.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/kuku/avifile/drivers/libdha.
*** Error code 1

12:30, time for lunch

----
To make it short: roadmap to play a divx .AVI file under FreeBSD?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies@rwth-aachen.de