Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:51:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inner workings of the C compiler

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Oscar Bonilla wrote:

> $ cp Makefile.static Makefile
> $ make
> cc -g -DYP -DFreeBSD -Wall -pedantic -ansi -c -I../../libc/include nss-test.c
> cc -g -nostdlib -static -L../../libc -o nss-test nss-test.o ../../csu/i386-elf/crt1.o ../../csu/i386-elf/crti.o -lc
> $ ./nss-test
> files called
> files called
> retval = 1
> NS_SUCCESS
> Bus error (core dumped)

I wasn't reading this too closely, but if you're trying to hand feed in
the object files, the C startup object file *MUST* come first in the list
of object files, because it's gotta link at the lowest address ...

Is that it?

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.