Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 20:12:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Minutes of the Thursday, April 13th core team meeting in Berkeley.

J Wunsch writes:

> As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > 	SCSI-magtape fixes
>
> Can someone elaborate more on this?

> > 	We should look at X.Y.Z releases every N months (3?) (2.5?)
>
> I think, 3 months have been the initial intent of WC for regular
> releases...

I think 6 month releases with 3 month bug fix releases (4 releases
per year) would be great and almost impossible to actually do, and
would be a good target.

Also, in Jordan's e-mail there was something that implied perhaps
FreeBSD should consider reducing its standards, since all we do is
think about releasing quality stuff until it reaches a fever point
where we push out the garbage (yes, I'm paraphrasing a little),
"after all, look at Linux".

I say: NO NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO.

Two things really distinguish us from Linux in my eyes: BSD copyright
and quality releases.

I've told many people that FreeBSD intends to be a commercial
quality OS with better than commercial quality support PLUS the
majority of the source.  I've said that the 2.0 release was an
aberration brought on by the USL settlement and the need to get
something out there once 1.1.5 could no longer be distributed.

I hope that I haven't been wrong on those points.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936