Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 01:07:09 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dwilde1@ibm.net
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blessing

[Sorry for delay]

> Okay, the first thing I'd like to do is to return this discussion to
> -advocacy. I need enthusiastic people and they need leadership.

Agreed.  Listen to General Wilde, folks. :-)

> Second, I need you all to think of who you (-core) can talk to in the
> original Berkeley movement and what they can do for us. MKMcK and Tim
> O'Reilly come to mind, and Bob Metcalfe is still very visible but a bit
> peeved that nobody did anything about the bandwidth problem he stuck his
> neck out about. The Yahoo guys and Netscape/Mozilla guys would be great

Erm, what bandwidth thing?  Could you maybe send me a private email
message clarifying this reference?  It sounds like something we should
do something about.  In any case, I'll try to talk to those among the
original Berkeley movement who don't already have a rather
significantly vested interest in promoting BSDI's product. :)

> sponsors, they have visibility and money. And finally, Intel is still an
> engineer-driven company. I think we can gather our courage, refine a
> pitch, and get their help. It's to their enormous benefit, anyway.

We can certainly get enough of their help to at least publically claim
them as supporters, which would be rather legitimising.  I'll try and
at least make some arrangements with their test labs down here since
they've already offered the use of the facilities, I just need to
grapple with various NDAs in using their experimental pre-release
hardware bits.

> InfoWorld. Once this becomes an official FreeBSD.org project, they'll
> listen closely and maybe twitch a few strings in our favor. Ditto Dr.
> Dobbs and Web Techniques.

Anyone with contacts inside these publications are also encouraged to
PIPE UP NOW. ;-)  Inside contacts really make all the difference, if
you have them.

> We need to fix a site relatively quickly, because a lot of future
> promotion is going to hinge on it. I'd really like to get a Berkeley
> campus location if that's at all possible, since few public auditoriums
> will have a T1 handy. 8-)))

None of the Berkeley ones I know of do either, actually. :(  They're
pretty spartan.

> I think the failure was due to being way ahead of the understanding of
> the general public, not any lack of smarts on your part. You _couldn't_
> get the momentum of history moving in the right direction. It was too
> premature, people just wrote you off as unrealistic geeks. Then, too,
> FreeBSD's come a long way in the last 3 years.

I know it has technically, I'm just not sure if the Journalists are
ready for it yet.  We shall see, eh? :-)

					Jordan