Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:34:40 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Justin Bennett <justin@z-axis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bug in aac driver (revisited?)

Justin Bennett wrote:
> I am posting this as I was researching an issue with my Adaptec 2200s
> controller, where I would get command timeouts on the controller under heavy
> constant load (either using rsync or ncftp to mirror folders).
>
> I noticed some interesting information that Scott Long posted about issues
> with 4GB RAM and  the firmware. Well, I have 4GB of RAM, and a SuperMicro
> X5DPL-iGM mobo (intel 7501 chipset), and the adaptec 2200s (dual channel)
> controller. So I was wondering if perhaps I am seeing some of the "strange
> interactions" that Scott mentioned.
>
> As I never saw a resolution to this issue, and noticed that (at least in the
> archives) Marc G. Fournier never got his situation fully resolved, perhaps I
> could lend some debugging help, if indeed the issues are the same (as I have
> the box right on hand).
>
> Scott or Marc (or anyone), can someone get back to me and let me know more
> info on this subject, and what I can do to help track down any potential bug
> in the aac driver.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Justin

You're welcome to cc: or send directly to me as I sometimes miss
postings to the freebsd-stable@ mailing list.

Yes, I believe that the issues with the 2120S/2200S and >2GB of RAM
have been fixed.  Marc is seeing some other problems but they are
related to the drive enclosure.  The fixes for the driver went into
the RELENG_4 branch on April 8.  Unfortunately this was after the
4.8 release.  If you need to install the OS onto an array, try
pulling out memory to get under 2GB, then install, then update and
rebuild the driver (and rest of the system), then put the RAM
back in.

Scott