Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:26:00 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

At 02:42 PM 12/18/2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>My printed copy of the GNU Manifesto is in the comb-binded book "GNU Emacs
>Manual" from March 1987 (pages 239 - 249). It is yellow, 7.5" x 10" with a
>drawing of bearded man

Richard Stallman

>in a metal armor riding a gnu. The back cover has a
>strange picture of a nervous, angry man in a suit running with a "license
>agreement" in his hand and dollar bills and floppy disks falling from his
>other hand. (I can't read the artist's signature; it is dated 1986.)

It's the same artist who drew the "Apple logo with teeth" that
Stallman was circulating (on buttons) during the last West
Coast Computer Faire. (This was when Apple sued Lotus for "look
and feel" copyright infringement.)

>On page 244, the GNU Manifesto says:
>
> "Don't programmers deserve a reward for their creativity?"
>
> If anything deserves a reward, it is social contribution. Creativity can
> be a social contribution, but only in so far as society is free to use
> the results. If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
> programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they restrict
> the use of these programs.
>
>punished ...
>
>The whole Manifesto is amazing.

It is. Note that this document was toned down several times as Stallman
honed his written propaganda; the version on the FSF Web site was
changed to hide his intentions, which have not changed.

--Brett Glass