Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 18:26:03 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Minutes of the Thursday, April 13th core team meeting in Berkeley.

> I think 6 month releases with 3 month bug fix releases (4 releases
> per year) would be great and almost impossible to actually do, and
> would be a good target.

I'd like to throw my support for this as well.  I'd like to see 'major'
releases every 6 months with the next release being a bug-fix only
release.  However, I don't think it'll happen simply because most folks
aren't willing to wait 3 months after a major release to introduce new
functionality, and the only other solution is to have 2 active branches
of the tree which CVS doesn't do well.

In spite of the technical shortcomings, I think this is something worth
investigating, as it would allow one person to be the release engineer
for *one* release which would be the initial release, and then followup
bug-fix release.  Someone else could be the next release engineer.

Unfortunately, I think the administration nightmare of two different
groups working in parallel would only hinder progress.  Geeze, I sound
like someone with multiple personalities, don't I?

Nate