Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:45:32 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donating Copyrights?

> (smile) I already understood the licensing part, I was just wondering
> specifically about the copyright thing :)  So the FreeBSD project has no
> interest in having copyrights donated directly to it?

None whatsoever, we're only interested in being able to redistribute
the bits freely.  Who actually holds the copyright on them has only
proven itself to be of theoretical rather than practical relevance to
us in the last 5 years, and the issue is one which people generally
just get emotional about when anyone's foolish enough to raise it as a
point of theoretical relevance in any case.  It's really just not
worth thinking about.

I've never tried granting the copyright to some deceased composer I
respect, or perhaps a cartoon character, but both would be interesting
possibilities for those looking for alternatives in copyright
assignment. :)

- Jordan