Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:42:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ian Wood <wood@elec.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stuck installing PAO on Acernote Light

On Thu, Sep 04, 1997 at 08:05:56PM +1000, Ian Wood wrote:
> re: AcerNote Light - attempt to use with PAO
>
> Thankyou all for the quick and useful replies.
>
> I have had another go at it, but haven't got it working.
>
> Replying to Mike:
>> Are you in a position to add/enable extra debugging in the pcic support
> code?
>
> If you mean writing code - no I'm not up to it, unfortunately.
>
> As for enabling more debugging - I don't know how to.
> I had a look through /usr/src/sys/pccard/pcic.c and found
> a verbose boot message for CardBus systems.
> My kernel doesn't produce it, so it probably isn't a CardBus
> system. I was pretty sure of this already since Windows '95
> (which I have on another partition) identifies it as
> a "Cirrus Logic PCIC compatible PCMCIA controller".
> I guess this answers your other question.

Yes, this isn't a CardBus system.

> Replying to Greg:
>
> I had already seen a number of your messages after searching the
> archives, but since you had a 3Com 3C589C (and I don't), they
> didn't inspire much hope in me.

That doesn't exactly make things better, but it's not a reason to
abandon hope either.

> I tried the newest 3.0-SNAP boot disk and was initially amazed to
> see my cards CIS data read by both ze0 and zp0.
> kernel reports:
> ze: pcmcia slot 0: NetComm Ltd~CardModem336~ ~ ~
> ze: pcmcia slot 1: SMC~EtherEZ Ethernet 8020~V1.00~~
> ze0 not found at 0x300
>
> Same messages for zp0.

This is progress, anyway.

> After a while I realised that ze0 & zp0 are not compatible with PAO,

I don't understand.  Don't they work at all with PAO?  Can anybody
else confirm?

> and since they did not find the cards sufficiently well by themselves
> 3.0 without PAO won't work either.
>
> This may prove something about the availability of the CIS data
> on this machine though ?

I think it shows that the software can detect your board, but it's not
really happy with it.  Which driver is correct for the SMC board?  How
about building a kernel with support just for this board, and at the
I/O address that the board is set to?  You may find PLIP invaluable in
this phase, BTW :-)

Greg