Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 2003 23:02:27 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org, Oliver Schonefeld <oschonef@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Subject:   Re: fdc0 on 164LX (Was: Re: problems with fdc0 device)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Oliver Schonefeld wrote:

> Eines schoenen Tages schrieb Wilko Bulte:
> [problems with floppies]
> > On my Tsunami-chipset based box (a DS10) I never got the floppy to work
> > correctly with FreeBSD. Not a hardware problem, something in FreeBSD. I
> > would not be surprised the XP1000 has the same problem.
>
> Hm ... has anyone ever gotten the floppy work on a DEC PC164LX Mainboard?

I haven't had problems with floppy drive and my PC164, although it
admittedly is not quite the same as PC164LX.

On a some what related note, I wasn't able to boot 5.0 kern.flp on a AS200
though, it just stops while loading the kernel and gives an error
message. If someone's interested, I can give more detailed info, but I'll
probably just find a SCSI CD-ROM somewhere and use that to get the
installation going again.

When previously installing 5.0 from a CD to a different hard drive on that
very same box the installer would just hang during package extraction,
but I managed to overcome that by installing only the very minimum set of
stuff which it was able to finish before the hang happened. After that the
box worked fine, except if I tried to use the built-in ethernet adapter
for anything more intensive than ping the box would hang again. An Intel
10/100 card worked just fine and I was able to make buildworld etc.

It seems mysterious things sometimes happen with older hardware,

	-jake

--
Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>            http://www.iki.fi/~jake/
System Administrator                    2001:670:83:f08::/64