Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:37:49 -0700
From:      Matt Olander <matt@offmyserver.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI Flakiness / Loader

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 09:40:35PM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> This system won't boot with ACPI.  The loader doesn't seem to maintain my
> menu selection (Selection #2, ACPI disabled) from boot to boot so I must
> boot the system while sitting at the console.  I am a bit dismayed.  I
> never had to pay one iota of attention to the loader until now.  I prefer
> to not have to fiddle bits on very fundamental code that keeps my system
> from booting.

hi Jason,

excerpt from
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/laptop/article.html:

If you want to disable ACPI simply add hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" to
/boot/device.hints. You can disable ACPI temporarily at the boot loader
prompt by issueing unset acpi_load if you are having problems booting an
ACPI enabled machine. FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE and later come with a
boot-time menu that controls how FreeBSD is booted. One of the proposed
options is to turn off ACPI. So to disable ACPI just select 2. Boot
FreeBSD with ACPI disabled in the menu.

cheers,
-matt