Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 18:21:38 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updated driver (bt848-970424)

Doug White:
 |Yes, 24 bit still doesn't work.  15 & 16 bit do though and that is nice!
 |I can run vic and tv simultaneously now without having to swap Xservers.
 |;)

Well, glad we're getting closer anyway!

 |The colors come out properly if -nobswap4Bpp or -nowswap4Bpp are set on
 |the command line.

 | Rating  Class        bpp  Bpp  R,G,B Masks                   Swap  DirectVid
 |   4     TrueColor     24   4   000000ff, 0000ff00, 00ff0000   --      No

That makes sense, given your frame buffer's pixel order.  For 0.41, I just
defaulted swapping on and gave everyone the capability to tune the swaps to
see what everyone needs swap-wise, and through that, to verify that the
swaps could be directly inferred from the reported RGB visual masks.  So
far, it sounds like this is the case.

Before I put the smart swapping in, let me verify with you though that when
you turn byte and word swapping off for your 4Bpp 24bpp video mode, you "are"
getting direct video, right?  That is, it's not giving you:

 |Active visual does not support direct video
 |  ...backing off and using XImages

If so, we're in good shape.  Please let me know.

Thanks,

Randall