Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:10:29 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [bsd-advocacy] Re: Draft: Proposed FreeBSD PubRelproject	Charter

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 04:25:51PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> In particular, the core team members and the average committers
> do not value PR work sufficiently to give it, say, the moral
> equivalent status as "GEOM" or other code-work.

Actually, I have to take some (mild) objection to this.

My press relations work within the Project has been greatly supported
by both core and re@.  It has required a certain amount of education
on what PR means and how the game is played.  These people aren't
dumb, and they aren't even ignorant; they just haven't played that
game before.  We have finally been able to arrange for a PR Newswire
membership (thank you, Foundation!), as it's been demonstrated that
without that a press release will go nowhere.

Will re@ hold to a release date for marketing purposes?  Probably not.
But that's part of the nature of how open source projects staffed
almost entirely by volunteers are run.  If we had a highly paid staff
of developers, that would be a different matter.

"The FreeBSD Project" is not just about code.  It's about producing
something.  For example, we on doc@ are held in high regard.  While at
times I may feel inferior because I cannot follow the latest
discussion on kernel architecture in arch@, I have *never* been
treated as a second-class citizen just because I don't code.  That's
because I produce actual content which other people can use, and I
give it away, just like the programmers.

Advocacy work is unquestionably work.  I happen to know that commit
bits have been offered to certain advocates who produce neither code
nor committable docs, but their advocacy work has been important and
far-reaching enough that we feel they have earned the right to the
@freebsd.org address.  In the cases I am aware of, the advocates have
turned down the offer.  (I'm not going to name names here, at least
one person involved is on this list and I don't care to either
embarrass him or subject him to a flood of email of "why did you turn
it down?"  It's nobody's business but his.)

Internally, the "FreeBSD Project" is highly interested in advocacy
work that creates content.  Some of this content is useful for
inclusion in one of our source repositories.  Some of it is not.  If
it is not suitable for inclusion in our source repo, we don't need to
do anything except say "thank you."

But we definitely appreciate people who go out and pound the pavement.
Since pounding pavement does not produce content, however, there's no
need for action from "The FreBSD Project."  All we have to do is keep
producing content for others to advocate (or not advocate, if they
choose).

==ml

PS: Why do I keep putting "The FreeBSD Project" in quotes here?  Well,
that's because in my opinion it's a lot more amorphous than people
seem to think.  There is no Project; there are just people who work on
FreeBSD.  There is no person or group that can approve your project to
advocate FreeBSD, but there is nobody that can tell you *not* to do
it.  True, you cannot send out a legal document in the name of
FreeBSD, but you can do dang near anything else.

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org

           Absolute BSD:   http://www.AbsoluteBSD.com/