Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:06:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, tlambert@primenet.com, brett@lariat.org, naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: If Brett only knew...

> I have only, to my knowledge, removed clauses 3 and 4 from my own
> original work.  Some others have chosen to do the same.  I don't think
> we're talking about anyone going into code released by the
> U.C. Regents or the University of Utah or whatever and modifying their
> 4 clause copyright.  That would be silly.

Yeah.  Let me be the first to say that this is true.

I was actually thinking more in terms of the agregate license,
and the possibility for misinterpretation of allowing GPL'ing.

The stuff that Jordan has put out is capable of being GPL'ed,
unlike the stuff from CSRG.

I personally disagree with putting code out under a license that
allows someone to coopt it, make it still nominally liberated,
and later claim that I saw a derived work, instead of independantly
arriving at a soloution.

It's a situation in which you can be claimed to have been "polluted"
by your own source code.

I understand buying into the argument about the "advertising clause".
That's why there is an assignment of copyright, and a common
redefinition of all but the final licensee as "and contributors".

The "proliferation problem" only occurs if you specifically mention
features or use of the code; in other words, only if you try to
turn everything into a marketing bullet item... and if you do, the
list doubles per line item only in the case that the features came
from different sources.

I think, therefore, that the "proliferation problem" doesn't exist,
and that the correct approach to strategic limitation is to take
the UCB approach, and ask for contribution of rights.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.