Date:      Sat, 25 May 2019 11:13:11 -0500
From:      "A. Wilcox" <AWilcox@Wilcox-Tech.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to retire PC Card (but not CardBus)

--BaHgiWCyW6HOh1bX5QKusdlFfm2OTffdG
From: "A. Wilcox" <AWilcox@Wilcox-Tech.com>
To: freebsd-arch@freebsd.org

--r8U1ZuHabem7gMWYXD5hUq8LawXnx8KKE

On 05/24/19 17:07, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Warner Losh wrote:
>> This is the logical next step. FreeBSD 12.x will be the
>> last release with 16-bit PC Card support.
>>
>> My plan is to add deprecation notices to the remaining PC Card drivers=
,
>> merge those back to FreeBSD 11 and 12. Once that's done, I plan on rem=
oving
>> the 16-bit support. I have a few minor bug fixes to that which I'll pu=
sh in
>> before I retire it, and merge those fixes.
>>
>> My plan is to give about a month for the community to discuss this pla=
>> before I add the warnings. If there's resistance, we'll go with more f=
ormal
>> data collection and deprecation. If there's none, I'll go ahead.
>=20
> Purges always scare, cutting off our tails, wondering how many we
> loose & don't hear from Versus how much easier it might make
> development for others.

Isn't the "usual" approach that the *next* release is the last one with
$thing_we_dont_like_anymore?

For instance, FCP-101 was done when 12 was CURRENT, and now 12 is the
last one usable on many of my i386.

This would be the rest.  I mean, that's fine and all, because I haven't
even run FreeBSD on i386 since people made fun of me on the mailing list
for the crime of still owning a Pentium II.

Actually, that's a good point - I'm out.

--arw

--=20
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Open-source programmer (C, C++, Python)