Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:17:17 -0700
From:      christopher <skeptikos@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   port management practices

Hey, how does everyone manage their ports in terms of
keeping them up-to-date?

I know about csup, portupgrade, etc., and I think
they are great, but if you only have one app that you
want to upgrade because it was buggy at a previous
time, then it doesn't seem like a practical undertaking
when you consider all of the other apps involved and
the build times for things such as openoffice and kde.
(Though I don't use the latter, I do know it's a long
process.)

So, do you simply fetch the ports skeleton manually and
take it from there? This has been my approach and it
works fine, but I was just curious if there are other
ways people are using.

If you want a specific example, an openoffice 2.3
snapshot that was out there right around the new year
there was a glib error that was causing it to hang in a
loop. A patch was created and I think it has now been
submitted. So of course since all of my other software
is running fine, I don't need/want to deal with getting
it all updated.

Thanks for any input. ~ Chris

--
christopher <skeptikos@gmail.com>