Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2020 18:19:29 +0100
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life

Hello Ed, thanks for your input :-)

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 3:46 PM Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > 12.0 was a problematic release. 12.1 brings even more problems.
>
> The major issue with 12.1 is a problem with the Intel graphics kernel
> module, and fixing that was held up by both 12.0 and 12.1 being
> supported. The problem will automatically resolve once 12.0 is no
> longer supported.
>
> (Yes, I wish we were able to address this issue in a way other than
> waiting for 12.0's EOL, but nobody in the FreeBSD development
> community was able to find the time to do so.)

Ah, in this case 12.0 EoL is highly desired. Now I understand. Thank you :-)

But also as this DRM user (for Intel and AMD) I have experienced the
related hiccups, problems, and problems solutions. It does not look
like a FreeBSD way, but more like Linux way. I never noticed anything
like this before. Sure, I can see this only as the end-user, maybe
tester, I did no commits, so in theory I cannot complain, but it seems
like more experienced kernel people could take part in this kind of
solution architecture and design right from start in order to prevent
avalanche of future problems and problematic solutions that will
generate more problems.

Another problem is the VirtualBox virtualization that is not really
usable anymore. I am aware of closed-source VBox Guest Additions
problem. My VM works fine for a first minute or two but then it stops
when I start working on it. With DRM and Framebuffer X11 drivers so it
does not seem related. It can consume all resources and/or break
graphics (i.e. Enlightenment WM). I have tried various permutations of
configuration and operating systems (mostly Windoze, but also Linux).
I am not sure if I am the only person having this problem as I have
asked some questions before. I know there is BHYVE but its not really
that easy to use as VBox (to be honest I did not manage to run
anything beyond examples). Simple and efficient hypervisor is a must
have nowadays in productivity work.

For a modern workstation a fairly good GPU driver and Virtualization
seems mandatory. Not to mention input devices like Trackpad. I cannot
use them reliably at this time anymore. It worked well in the past.
Thus my question - why create a new release with new features when
there are still basic features missing or incomplete.. I would really
care for productivity in the first place even if its 9.12 release :-)

I really love FreeBSD!! I advocate it in my every project and every
project I am part of. I use it as a base on my servers. It worked
really nice on my desktop, but it does not anymore. I am not really
comfortable to switch to macOS BSD but time is precious and clients
are waiting for the results..

I just wonder:
1. Maybe if Sony uses FreeBSD on their PlayStation with AMD GPU -
could they share back the solution?
2. Maybe Intel could help in development of the DRM architecture? They
have really nice R&D in Poland..

Did anyone try that? :-)