Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:40:19 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Nick Sayer" <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What about SRP auth for telnet and ftp? [was Re: SRA auth ]

> Matthew Emmerton wrote:
>
> > Would anyone be interested in seeing SRP functionality added?

> The nice thing about patching telnet to add authentication
> types is that the actual patching is fairly limited -- the code just
> sort of lays alongside the rest in libtelnet.

Yes, that's a definite plus when it comes to maintainance!

> But if you're going to bother, the first thing you should do is add some
> better session encryption.

The telnetd that comes with the SRP distribution supports a ton of stuff,
including SSL/TLS, DES3 and CAST. A quick scan shows that the majority of
code uses a BSD-style licence, which is good.  I'll have to hook up with the
telnetd maintainer on this.

The only monkey wrench is that SRP uses a new password-file format
(Exponential Password Suite).
I'm thinking that the better way is to add support for 'eps' passwords via
/etc/login.conf (just as md5 and des passwords are supported), and ensure
that the appropriate libraries are around to handle this case.

--
Matt Emmerton