Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 2003 20:18:26 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound frustration.

Josh Tolbert wrote:
> Hi guys,
>         I have a PC164LX, 533MHz 21164A and 1G RAM. I'm planning on using
> the machine for a workstation and sound would be nice. I've been fighting
> with this machine sound-wise for about three days now, so I decided to ask
> for help.

I'm pretty sure that this box has an embedded ESS1888 or CS4231
chip, doesn't it?  Can't you use that instead of sticking in your
own sound card?  Back when I had a 164-based board it has the
Crystal Semiconductor sound chip.

If not, you might want to try reading:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6.2R/hardware-alpha.html

...specifically:

	>>> SET PCI_PARITY OFF

There are known parity problems, that could interfere with
hardware trying to use the same bus, given that they aren't
cleared like you'd expect.

>         If I put any sound card on the 32-bit bus, I have serious problems
> with the IDE drives in the machine. The problems eventually cause the
> machine to panic when it tries to detect the drives and eventually times
> out.

I don't know which bridge this thing has, but a lot of the old
PCI bridges used to be limited to 2 bus master DMA devices, and
attempts to install more than 2 ended up with bogus mastering
negotiations happening.

Other than that, you can hope someone else says something... that's
all I can say about it, myself, sorry.

-- Terry