Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:57:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what is devfs?

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >
> > > DEVFS itself works fine however a subsystem it required to be a useful
> > > abstraction was vandalised and stripped out by some people who "didn't get
> > > it" and it has not yet been replaced by equivalent code.
> >
> > It seems more correct (to me) to state that there was a furious
> > disagreement over whether or not to allow some memory of file permissions
> > in devfs.  Since there was never any agreement, DEVFS has smoldered.  I
> > think there's general agreement it would be a good thing to have, but that
> > argument over how to keep user configurations must be handled.
>
> file permissions were not relevant to the code that was ripped out (the
> stackable disk partitionning layers) (called SLICE).

But it was to the subject on the Subject: line, Julian.  We know what side
you're on, but there are 2 sides to the argument.  Isn't there some way
that it can be set up to *optionally* have permission persistence?

If you would get past that point, then all the political problems that
remain are solvable.

Whatever, let's please not get into an argument over persistence, it's in
the archives.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)