Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 13:56:17 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

Garrett Wollman stands accused of saying:

> > If the current build scheme can't handle third-party build structures
> > in some sensible fashion, then it is _BROKEN_ from the point of view of
> > the useful continuation of the expansion of FreeBSD.
>
> I agree with your statement as a whole, but the premise is false.  The
> current build scheme CAN handle third-party structures in a sensible
> fashion (by ignoring them and working in a separate directory).

Ah!  This is something that has never been adequately explained before.

I presume this ties in with the suggestion (made by Tom?) of leaving
the vendor tree aside and building in another directory using VPATH?

... following this further down the track, looking at Jordan's gripes
with the whole objdir thing, would it be practical to build the obj
tree and populate it with symlinks to corresponding makefiles, and then
use VPATH to find the sources?

Is 'make' capable of determining whether the Makefile it's reading is
a symlink and determining the true location of the file (this would make
automating the VPATH generation trivial, rather than having to handcode
it into every Makefile).

Would this cover any/many of the obj-dir complaints?