Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2010 05:35:45 +0100
From:      "tom@diogunix.com" <tom@diogunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ejabberd won't startup

Hi everybody dealing with ejabberd and/or erlang in a FreeBSD8-Jail !

I've built the ejabberd port (with ODBC support / the Erlang MySQL driver)
two days ago but can't get it to run.

# ejabberdctl start

spits out a huge bunch of Erlang error messages (unreadable for most
humans), obviously saying that it can't connect properly to the loopback
interface on Port 4369 (respectively connects but then immediately stops,
causing a crash dump and not able to "register it's node"). Tcpdump shows 8
pakets captured when pointing to the lo0 interface.

The jail is an ordinary Jail with no special configuration (just 1 IP and a
proper hostname, running Postfix/Dovecot with MySQL just fine). PF or it's
ruleset too seems not to be the cause as Erlang's behaviour is the same even
with a switched off PF. Restarting the Jail and triple-checking it's
parameters did not help too.

As the error can be reproduced solely with Erlang (without even starting
ejabberd), the ejabberd.cfg file however does not seem to play any role.

I was told, this actually was an Erlang issue and so I first went to the
Erlang folks (erlang mailing list). At least until now, they unfortunately
could not help me making a real step.

So, I got stuck and now am in search for people successfully running
ejabberd in a Jail. I have seen reports from the web on success and even I
too had a test installation in a Jail running half a year ago (unfortunately
did not note all details  before I wiped that testing machine).

My suggestion is, it might have something to do with the file
/usr/locaal/etc/ejabberd/inetrc
(responsible for name resolution for Erlang)

So, are there any Jail/ejabberd experts out there ?
Or just people having it up and running ?

kind regards
Tom