Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:30:01 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why does this sendmail connection take so long?

Dan Langille wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2002 at 17:35, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Dan Langille wrote:
> > > I'd normally attribute this problem to DNS, but I can't track down
> > > what DNS problem is occuring.  Note the lag between the first event
> > > and the next. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Sendmail attempts to do a "getpeername()" and an identd lookup
> > of the sending process for logging purposes.  You can turn this
> > off.  For a persistant connection, the second thing that gets
> > sent down it avoids this check.
>
> Do you know what the switch is for turning that off?

It depends on the version of sendmail.  If it's not 8.12.5, you
will need a local hack; for that, you should look for where
the variable "RealHostName" is set in the C sources in
sendmail/sendmail/daemon.c.

If it's newer, then there should be an option for your m4 file
in sendmail/cf/README (NOT in the book!).

You might also want to play with confTO_IDENT (the 5 second
ident timer) and confTO_RESOLVER_RETRY (the resolver timeout).

If you need the local hack, it's pretty rivial, I can walk
you through it.

Alternately, you could get the remote side to answer the phone.
8-).

-- Terry