Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:53:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!root.com!dg, ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Re: another dup alloc panic.

> >This morning's panic was inode #177593.  (Certainly doesn't
> >seem to be one that would fall on any inodes/group boundary)
> >I'll clear that one and hope for the best.
> >
> >However, when I did the fsck on that file system; two files were
> >associated with that inode - so, it probably was, in fact, already
> >allocated...  Maybe the allocation structure is sorta messed up and
> >it's picking up random bits somewhere...  I'm beginning to believe
> >some randomness (along the lines of an uninitilized variable) is
> >part of the problem here...

 Although this was personal mail - I'm taking the liberty of reflecting
it to freebsd-hackers so it will go into the archives...

>    It's really weird that you're seeing these panics so often.

 Yep - it sure is; especially since I seem to be the only one seeing
it.

 Just F.Y.I. - when I came home this afternoon this particular machine had
panic'd again (that's twice in one day) - this time with inode #77681.  I
seem to have fallen into that state where the panic's just come on-and-on.
A machine will run for a month or so, and then suddenly start getting
this panics daily (or, as today, even more often.)

>                                                                Is there
> something special you're doing to make those filesystems?

 Well - on the machine where I reproduce the problem; I'm doing
a newfs and a mkdir... nothing too special there.  On the "production"
machine that's seeing this; it's my news/mail gateway... running an
old version of Cnews.

>                                                           I've not seen
> this on wcarchive (19 disk drives, all very busy), and I haven't seen it
> on a local news server (which gets a full news feed and delivers news
> to dozens of other sites). ...it just seems really strange that this
> problem is hitting you so often when I've *never* seen it happen.

 Yes - that's been the paradox ever since it started....

>    Obviously, there is a bug somewhere since phk was able to reproduce
> the problem. ...but just out of curiosity, what do you have the DMA
> rate set to on your 1542B, and what is your ISA bus speed set to on
> your 386 motherboard?

 Ah - you're assuming I only see this on one machine.  The machine
that's got the reliable reproduction is a 386 with a 1542B.  The machine
that's getting the daily panics is a 386 with an IDE controller and
a relatively new MAXTOR IDE drive...

>                       It would also be interesting if the problem was
> affected by adding more memory. Is it possible to upgrade the machine
> to 16MB?

 Unfortunately; both machines are maxed out (out of 30-pin SIMM slots.)

 One machine has 8 meg; the other has 12 meg.  [Also, remember, my
reliable reproduction is caused during the base installation of FreeBSD,
so not too much else is going on :-) ]

 But - not to damper this at all; I'm thrilled to examine just about any
avenue you care to consider... and if you have any ideas to try I'd
be happy to undertake them!!!  _Any_ Ideas :-)

> -DG

	- Dave Rivers -