Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 2003 18:22:31 +0900
From:      Peter Haight <peterh@sapros.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@northnetworks.ca>
Subject:   Re: IPSEC problems after upgrade

I figured out what the problem was, so I thought I'd post the solution
because I never found it when I was searching the archives. Basically, there
was a change to the way IPSEC worked and the end result is that the packets
get run through the firewall after they get decrypted and so they look like
they are coming from an internal network on an external interface and so
they get rejected by a firewall rule that was rejecting private network ip
addresses.

The reason the 'inbound packets violated process security policy' counter
was increasing was because the packets were going through NAT and after
that they didn't match the SPD.

Anyway, I've got everything working again. Someone might want to add a note
to the IPSEC handbook docs explaining about this firewall issue and maybe
the NAT thing as well.