Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 19:45:10 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        julian@freefall.cdrom.com (Julian Elischer), fs@freefall.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, hardware@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

> /dev/dsk/...		block disk
> /dev/rdsk/...		raw disk
> /dev/tty/...		tty device
> /dev/ttym/...		modem control tty device

I like these..

> /dev/ptm/...		master pty
> /dev/pts/...		slave pty

I think these could be better named.  /dev/pty/{m,s}/?

> /dev/con/...		console (keyboard, mouse, display, sound)

I think the keyboard and display, maybe, but the mouse and sound?
Hmmmm!  I'd much prefer keeping /dev/audio and /dev/mouse "flat" since
/dev/con is *not* the first location that would intuitively spring to
mind if I were looking for them!  At the very least, I'd expect
/dev/sound/{midi,speaker,...} and /dev/mouse/{bus,serial,...}

> /dev/mem
> /dev/kmem
> /dev/null
> /dev/zero
> /dev/tty

All good.

> Then there are compatability issues:
>
> /dev/icmp
> /dev/tcp
> /dev/udp
> /dev/spx
> /dev/ip
> /dev/ipx
> /dev/socksys
> /dev/fd096ds15
> etc.

/dev/net/ might also not be a bad hierarchy - there are enough of
these that they probably need to be tucked down a level.

					Jordan