Date:      17 Dec 2002 17:32:31 -0800
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@unix-os.sc.intel.com>
To:        ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can freebsd support intel ee870 chipset?

"Van Maren, Kevin" <kevin.vanmaren@unisys.com> writes:

> > [Typo: ee870 should be e8870]
> >
> > I'm not aware of any existing machines that are based on the E8870
> > chipset.
>
> They are out there.  See:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4438 (picture)
> http://www.intel.com/design/servers/buildingblocks/SR870BN4/
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2119334,00.html
> (The Unisys 16-way Itanium2 ES7000/130 uses the E8870)

I could boot to the sysinstall screen with the RC1 CD on this
platform (Tiger), but then the keyboard didn't work for me.
The platform requires a USB keyboard driver (doesn't have a PS/2
port). It looks like the ia64 GENERIC kernel doesn't have usb or ukbd
enabled. But the i386 GENERIC kernel *does* have it enabled. Is it
possible to enable it in ia64 GENERIC kernel before the 5.0 release ?

Of course, one can attach a serial console and make progress.

        -Arun