Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 1995 12:13:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au, terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: ideas from netbsd

I'm reading this thread backwards (how I've got elm set up :)
so I've already answered from 'later' in the thread, but I'll
try make it clear..

CAP is the person that will (note 'will', not 'did') feed
thread changes into NetBSD libc.
we are actively working with him on this and it may be that FreeBSD
get's them first..

either way you look at it, FreeBSD is not 'duplicating NetBSD's work'
we are using the same source..

> > > Your understanding is incorrect according to Julian's post under this
> > > same subject.
> >
> > Not it's not! What Julian mentioned is what _we_ are currently doing.
> > As far as 2.0 and 2.1 are concerned, pthreads is a port.
yes, pthreads is not included in either except as an external module.

> > For 2.2 I'm building a threaded libc here and feeding diffs to Julian for
> > inclusion in the main tree when appropriate.
> > I'm still talking with CAP about
> > the integration of thread support
> > in libc. This discussion includes Julian.

Threads support in 2.2 will start out as Integral but optional....
at some stage the 'optional' will go away
it's a race to see whether this happens before or after 2.2 is 'RELEASE'd
but at the RELEASE of 2.2 it will definitly be Integrated..

> I meant with regard to the NetBSD and FreeBSD sources both being based
> on CAP's libc code.
As CAP is doing both, I guess we;ll get the same patches.. :)

julian