Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 2010 02:04:51 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:18:41 -0800, Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net> wrote:
>On Tue 02 Feb 2010 at 14:34:42 PST Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> I've been trying Rhythmbox too lately.  It also recognizes IDv3 tags,
>> has playlist support, podcast download and archive support, last.fm
>> integration and online streaming radio support.  Some bits of the UI
>> are, to put it mildly, "dumped down".  This is a common problem of many
>> Gnome applications these days, it seems.  I've only used it for about a
>> week or two now, so I can't really say if I _like_ it yet.
>
> I've been trying Exaile and Rhythmbox too. I think I prefer Rhythmbox,
> because it handles my .m3u playlists in the way I like. It immediately
> lists them in the sidebar under Playlists, and they persist there from
> session to session.

Yes, that's a really _nice_ feature of Rhythmbox :-)

When I am trying to 'enter the zone' and code for 3-4 hours without jumps
from one context to another, I often load a large m3u playlist to Rhythmbox
and let it repeat itself forever.  Then I start writing and lose myself in
the process of creating things instead of going back and forth between my
terminal and the player in an effort to "keep the playlist filled with nice
music".

The context switch from the work I am going to the player is always hurtful
for my concentration, so persistent playlists help me avoid it as much as
possible.